The old wooden swing




Soft rain, tree branches moving in the harsh wind, hot coffee, and the old wooden swing going back and forth with a creak.  

The swing was in our backyard and it was super fun. My younger brother and I would take turns on the swing and play on it every day. The swing has quite a history. It was built along with the house in 1983. My great grandfather had built it. It was a fine house, but he often complained about the swing moving when there was no wind or person.                                   

My brother would come to my room every night complaining and being horrified. I was sick and tired of this nightly routine. I would take him outside every night and show him the empty swing to assure him there was no one. After he finally went to bed, I decided to read myself to sleep. The story was about a child being terrified of a piano being played by itself and crying for help. I shut the book and imagined my terrified little brother crawling under the swing screaming on a full moon night, and no one coming to help. I quickly got up and ran outside praying. Praying that he hasn't yet found out that we're demons.

Comments

Popular Posts